29.6.09

If you lost your identity...


Where would you look?


The other day I was asked for identification. As I rifled through my purse for my school ID card, I realized how naive it is to claim that we're each "just a number" in society. It's so much more complex than that.

Numbers are just the beginning.

I mean, let's think: you've got your ID, driver's license, memberships cards (for libraries and such), address, phone number, name, face, fingerprint, credit cards, bank statements, bills, passport, and so many more ways to be identified.

But how do you define yourself?
Consider your priorities, passions, possessions, emotions, loved ones, quirks, likes, looks, dislikes, traits, thoughts - everything that makes you you.
Society's identification is just an appendage on your persona.

I think we all owe it to ourselves to take some time out of our lives to learn what makes us tick.
I think we owe it to ourselves to cultivate some habitual introspection.


Photo Copyright Dina Goldstein

No comments:

Post a Comment