13.7.09

Why can't a woman be more like a man?

I'm no misogynist,
but I'd hate to be a modern woman.
See, I have an affinity for men's magazines.
Yes, it's embarrassing sometimes when the cute guy next to me looks at me weird because I took the last copy of
Details, (Of course, I immediately offer to share!) but I do have reasons for choosing Esquire over Elle.
Let me explain.

This month in GQ: The comedy issue!
(Featuring a nude and superwaxed
Sacha Baron Cohen.
)
I'm always blown away by GQ's range of content - from styling tips for the fashion conscious lads, to political stories with brilliant angles (ie: Levi Johnston), and even a few of international value (something about Africans this month), all written with brilliant diction and biting hilarity. "
Zis season’s vardrobe essential, thanks to Madonna und me, is ze 'Little Black Child'," Baron Cohen declares in the issue.
Funny, cheeky, self-deprecating.

This month in Cosmopolitan: 100 sex questions!
(Featuring Lauren Conrad in a bra 1000 sizes too small.)
Among the cover stories are "Virgins in Cosmo! (We never thought this day would come)", and "4 Signs He's Craving You". There's also a story about cutting down on calories and getting ahead at the workplace. And briefly, I mention the paucity of words over 3 syllables - "orgasm" doesn't count. Enough said.

How is it that GQ can feature Levi Johnston in a credible, entertaining way, but Cosmopolitan needs to feature women that haven't put out yet to maintain the attention of its readers?

The thing is, I do want women to succeed.

Then I look at Cosmo and the mini-skirted 15-year-old reading it, and I know why women aren't taken seriously.
I'm all for women pushing for a voice, breaking into the male-dominated ranks of the worldwide hierarchy, becoming the true equals of men.
But first, I think we need to grow some balls.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely :D

    Now, GO GIVE MR. DARCY A BIG OL' SLAP ON THE BACK.

    ReplyDelete